Wednesday, December 7, 2011

How I Plan to Target Swiss Direct Clients

Yet another Swiss text to translate. I've never been to Switzerland (unless you count quickly passing through on the way to somewhere else in Europe), but as I wrote previously I'm becoming quite familiar with Swiss business German. With the Euro in crisis, maybe Switzerland is the place to find direct clients. So how would I go about this?


That's actually a good question, since directories of foreign companies are hard to find at my local business library here in Brooklyn, NY. The library does have a German company directory, but not a Swiss or Austrian one. So I tried to come up with a game plan for finding and then targeting potential Swiss clients:


  1. Create a tri-fold brochure specifically geared towards Switzerland (based on my generic brochure) and have a small number printed by a low-cost online printer.
  2. Use the Swiss version of Google (www.google.ch) to search for Swiss IT, transportation/logistics and other technology companies.
  3. For each company found, check whether or not its website has an English version and note contact information for the person who is most likely to handle translations.
  4. Search for these contact people, as well as their companies, on the LinkedIn and Xing professional networks, note additional details on their background and see whether I can invite them into my network.
  5. Consider getting a paid subscription to either or both networks, so I can contact people "out of my network", then contact those I cannot invite into my network otherwise.
  6. Follow up with an e-mail several weeks later detailing my experience in translating Swiss texts, as well as with relevant subject matter (IT, etc...). Offer a free short test translation. Mention LinkedIn/Xing connection and announce brochure mailing.
  7. For any replies saying that they don't handle translations, ask who does and e-mail that person. Also find them on one or both professional networks and connect there.
  8. Three weeks later, mail the brochure created in Step 1, with a cover letter detailing previous contacts.
  9. A month later send follow-up e-mail inquiring whether they received the brochure and would like a free test translation.


I'm not sure what I will do after that last step, but this should keep me busy for a while with marketing.

3 comments:

  1. Interesting initiative. How is this going? Thanks for the detailed list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this wonderful blog. Click here for - Handle Mail Switzerland

    ReplyDelete
  3. Handle Mail Switzerlande - swissmailbox is offering affordable Swiss Mailing address in switzerland, Mailing Address in Switzerland and online office services.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I will review comments weekly, so please be patient if you are expecting a reply. - Barbara